Does someone else deal with your income tax matters? Authorize your representative.

Archived content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

Did you know?

If you want someone such as your spouse or common-law partner, a family member, a friend, or an accountant to deal with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on your behalf for your income taxes, you or your legal representative must authorize this person to be your representative.

Important facts

To authorize your spouse or common-law partner, a family member, a friend, or an accountant to be your representative, you can use one of the following methods:


  • Use the My Account service and its Authorize my representative option to give instant access to your representative.
  • To use My Account, you have to register and get a CRA user ID and password, which includes our mailing a CRA security code to you.
  • Once you've authorized your representative using My Account, they will be able to deal with us through Represent a Client.
  • Also, for your protection, you can change or revoke your representative’s authorization at any time using the Authorized my representative option.

By mail

Your authorization will stay in effect until the pre-determined date you choose or until you manually cancel it. For more information, go to the Authorize or cancel a representative webpage.

CRA online services make filing easier and let you get your refund faster

The CRA’s online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track your refund, and more. Sign up for direct deposit too! Your refund and any benefit or credit payments owed to you will be deposited directly into your account, putting your money in your pocket faster. For more information, go to

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:

You can also visit our YouTube Channel for tax-related videos.

For media information

Date modified:

Associated documents